What Does It Mean to Be Independently Wealthy?
Being independently wealthy, or having financial independence, generally means that you can pay for the rest of your living expenses for the rest of your life without having to work full time. Obviously, this involves a lot of saving, planning, and dedication. However, financial independence is possible. Here’s how…
3 Steps to Becoming Independently Wealthy
Of course becoming independently wealthy won’t happen overnight. There are three steps you can take to begin your journey on the road to financial independence though.
- Create a surplus. First, before you do anything else, you’ll need to review your budget and look for any expense that could be cut or decreased. This will “create” new money for you, or allow you a surplus you didn’t have before. Once you have extra money every month from your current income, you can begin to take the next steps to becoming independently wealthy.
- Generate more income. After you’ve gone over your budget and created a monthly surplus, then begin to look for ways to generate passive income. These are the three largest passive income generators:
- Invest in the stock market. Investing in the stock market is a very traditional idea of how to make passive income but it is still a great one and it doesn’t take as much startup cash as the rest of the passive income ideas. In fact, some apps let you start investing with as little as $5. While you won’t see any financial change overnight, investing in the stock market can help you reach financial independence.
- Invest in a property. If the stock market isn’t really your thing, consider investing in property. Buying a home to have a rental property is a great idea and can be a significant source of passive income. If you’re able to get a low enough mortgage or pay for the home in full, you can make hundreds (possibly even thousands) of dollars a month. (Keep in mind, however, that you will want to hire a management company or be handy to become a landlord.)
- Invest in a business. Lastly, you can invest in a business. This can be a business of your own or someone else’s. Many people create small online stores to fulfill this way of generating passive income or they publish a series of ebooks that will create a cash flow for them over a period of time (instead of just once).
- Diversify your income. When you are looking for new ways to create passive income or expand your finances, always look to diversify. We’ve all heard the old adage “don’t put all of your eggs in one basket” but it’s really true. You don’t want all of your cash coming from the same place or going to the same place. If you keep diversity in your finances, you’ll never have to worry about becoming financially dependent again.
All in all, financial independence takes years of hard work and discipline. However, anyone that has ever achieved it will tell you: it’s worth it.
Save More Money in 2018
Subscribe and join the worldwide 52-week money challenge! Get the tools you need right to your inbox.