Today I have another debt free story to share with you!
One of my favorite ways to research for the blog is to interview people who have paid off their debt or are on the path to become debt free.
It’s no wonder that these stories are some of my most popular posts.
Today, I am excited to share the story of Dontae and Laura Harris, a young couple living in Indiana with their two young kids, who happen to be 100% debt free!
In our video interview, Dontae and Laura share how they paid off $22,000 of debt in 22 months on a $48,000 household income!
They reveal the two simple steps they took to start their journey, what special event motivated them to keep going, and the four drastic sacrifices they took to meet their goal.
Dontae and Laura also explain how they cut costs, share with us practical advice for those just starting their own journey, and reveal what they did to celebrate making their final debt payment.
Here are the times for some key points in the conversation:
- 1:01 – Dontae shares what made them decide to start their debt free journey and breaks down what kind of debt they had.
- 2:44 – Laura reveals what momentous event in their lives pushed them to pay off their debt as quickly as possible.
- 3:55 – Dontae explains how becoming debt free enabled them to save up enough cash to cover the expenses for that special event.
- 4:30 – Laura explains the two simple steps they took to get started on their debt free journey.
- 5:02 – Dontae reveals how they dramatically cut their living expenses.
- 6:21 – Laura breaks down the four unique sacrifices and strategies they used to pay off their debt so quickly.
- 9:12 – Dontae and Laura share their advice to anyone just starting out on a debt free journey.
- 11:47 – Dontae explains how he used his passion for music to bring in some extra income.
- 12:46 – Dontae shares the best part about being debt free.
- 13:42 – Dontae and Laura reveal what they did to celebrate after making their final debt payment.
- 16:43 – Dontae and Laura share their next big goal and why they are taking their time to complete it.
Dontae’s advice to someone considering starting a debt free journey is my favorite quote from the interview:
“Start now. The sooner, the better.”
– Dontae Harris
I want to thank Dontae and Laura for taking the time to share their inspiring debt free journey with us. They have proven that with a plan, some determination, and a little sacrifice, becoming 100% debt free is achievable.
Laura Harris is a Christian financial coach, wife, and mother, who helps young families understand better ways of managing money so that they can build up and pass down the legacy of their dreams. For weekly money-saving tips, visit www.piggybankdreams.com.
What About You?
Participate in the conversation. What was your favorite part of the interview? What did you learn from Dontae and Laura? Share in the comments below.