Last week, I had the pleasure of sitting down and chatting with Scott Maderer of Inspired Stewardship. Scott and his wife have paid off $72,000 in debt and, since then, they haven’t looked back. Seriously, no credit cards, no mortgage, nothing! Here is a look at Scott’s amazing story and how becoming debt-free helped him regain control of his life.
During our chat, I found out that Scott and his wife paid off all of their debt in just about two and a half years. Here are some highlights from the discussion…
- Scott began seeking debt freedom because he was finding himself depressed because of his finances.
- They don’t currently stick to a strict budget, but they spend next to nothing on entertainment (thanks to an extensive DVD collection, which he will talk about).
- He and his wife will never carry debt again. They don’t even have a mortgage now.
- For Scott, having a plan but being able to roll with the punches has been vital to his success.
I’ll let you give the full interview a listen below.
How Scott Really Paid Off $72,000
In one part of our chat, Scott talks about what has led him to be successful in his debt-free journey and what has kept him free of debt since. For him, there was a “never again” moment where he knew he would never want his finances to have such a stronghold over his life, especially his debts.
This is key for many people to maintain their finances after reaching their debt freedom goals. Having that moment where you realize you truly do not want to hold debt anymore and you don’t want to put yourself in that situation ever again can be life-changing.
If you would like to learn more about Scott or reach out to him about his story he has set up a special page for Our Debt Free Family readers here.
- How Lauren Greutman, The Recovering Spender, Paid Off $40,000 of Debt
- We Are Officially Credit Card Debt Free!
- How Marian and Dave Paid Off $120,000 of Debt in 3 Years!
- How a Family of 7 Paid Off $137,000 of Debt in 4 Years
Amanda Blankenship is the Director of Social Media for District Media. In addition to her duties handling everything social media, she frequently writes for a handful of blogs and loves to share her own personal finance story with others. When she isn’t typing away at her desk, she enjoys spending time with her daughter, husband, and dog. During her free time, you’re likely to find her with her nose in a book, hiking, or playing RPG video games.
Leave a Reply