Taking time to spend with your significant other is always a good investment. In our home, we have at least one night per week that cell phones are put down and we just spend time together. It is necessary to maintain our relationship. Sometimes, we like to incorporate some fun date nights too. There are people who might use something like True Pheromones to make themselves extra-appealing to their partner if they want to put them in the mood for an intimate evening in together. However, going out for a date can get pretty expensive, depending on what your plans are. Here are some frugal date ideas that we love.
Frugal Date Night In
My husband and I are both fans of the “date night in,” especially in the post-pandemic world. Some of our favorite things to do at our home cost next to nothing too. Consider adding some of these activities to your plans!
- Check out your streaming services. If you are like us, you don’t get a chance to watch all of the shows and streaming services we’d like to. Take a moment to check out what you’re subscribed to and make a list for your date night. Curl up with your favorite snacks and settle in for the night. (This is probably our favorite of the frugal date ideas.)
- Take advantage of a free trial. If there is a movie you’ve been wanting to see or a show you’ve been wanting to binge-watch, take advantage of a free trial on date night. You can start the show or watch the movie free of charge. Just don’t forget to cancel your subscription before you get charged!
- Play a game of cards or break out the board games. Every once in a while we will pull out a deck of cards and play a few games of Rummy. We also have a few board games we take out of the closet occasionally. These are great, fun ways to spend date night at no cost.
- Try out Playstation Plus. This service gives you access to a wide variety of different video games. You can try out some new games you’ve never played and have a great time. They offer a free trial and then after that it is $9.95 per month. If you’re both avid gamers, it can be a great cheap date night every month.
- Make homemade pizza or pick a recipe to try. Cooking in will always be cheaper than ordering food or eating out.
- Learn something together. We like to seek out documentaries about new things, YouTube videos, and other informational materials and learn new things together. It can give you something new to talk about and is an extremely frugal date night.
- Get physical. You can get a wide range of workout videos on YouTube. Pull up a yoga class or cardio class to do together.
Other Frugal Date Ideas
Of course, you don’t have to stay in to stick to your budget when it comes to going on a date. There are plenty of frugal date ideas outside the home as well. When the weather is nice, we enjoy some of these on a regular basis.
- Head to the park.
- Go on a hike.
- Rent bicycles or roller skates.
- Pack a picnic and take a drive.
- Find a drive-in movie theater.
- Plant flowers or work in a garden.
- Search for coupons or deals for local restaurants.
These are just a few of our favorite go-to date ideas, but there are plenty of ways to spend time with your significant other without breaking the bank. Think about what your partner might enjoy doing and find a few frugal dates you’ll love. Readers, do you have any frugal date ideas to add? Leave yours in the comments!
- How to Create an Aggressive Savings Plan
- Birthday Reflections: How We Measure Success By Age
- People Rarely Take Their Own Advice
- How to Keep Up With Your Resolutions
Amanda Blankenship is the Director of Social Media for District Media. In addition to her duties handling everything social media, she frequently writes for a handful of blogs and loves to share her own personal finance story with others. When she isn’t typing away at her desk, she enjoys spending time with her daughter, husband, and dog. During her free time, you’re likely to find her with her nose in a book, hiking, or playing RPG video games.