Barbara Friedberg and I had a chance to sit down and have a chat recently. Usually, when I talk to people about their finances they are sharing some inspiring and amazing debt freedom stories. What is most inspiring about what Barbara had to say is that she never really had any debt, to begin with. For her, the idea of accruing debt never occurred to her. (Why couldn’t I have had that mindset, right?)
Here’s a look at the highlights of our discussion and the full video below.
What is the ‘Secret’ to Wealth?
According to Barbara, the secret to wealth has been hustling. There has never been a time she and her husband didn’t have multiple jobs or hustles at once, she said during our interview. Here are a few more of the highlights of the discussion…
- Investing is a huge part of Barbara’s key financial plan. She emphasizes that everyone should invest in some fashion.
- Emergency funds are another must, but it should be whatever amount makes you feel comfortable (i.e. three months, six months, or a year+ of expenses).
- Be flexible with your finances, especially right now. Be ready to make changes and look for new ways to make money.
Have a listen to the full chat below.
I enjoyed getting to talk to Barbara. Her mindset and ideas about money are something to be looked to for motivation. No matter where you are financially, you can hustle and make your goals happen and succeed.
As far as the secret to wealth or success in your finances, I think Barbara was right in many ways. You have to be willing to be a little uncomfortable to truly improve your situation. No good change comes from being comfortable. Paying off debt is uncomfortable. Living frugally to meet savings goals can be difficult. Hustling to get by or meet your investing goals can be nerve-wracking.
In the end, though, it is all worth it. Your financial freedom will be your reward. For every uncomfortable moment during your journey right now, infinite comfort awaits once you are free from financial worry.
- How Brian Paid Off $30,000 in Student Loan Debt His First Year Out of College
- Debt-Free and Never Looking Back: How Scott Paid Off $72,000
- How Lauren Greutman, The Recovering Spender, Paid Off $40,000 of Debt
- How Marian and Dave Paid Off $120,000 of Debt in 3 Years!
Amanda is an editor and writer. She has a passion for sharing information that helps people and communities to better themselves in some way. In addition to writing online, she also freelances for local newspapers in her hometown of Charlotte, NC.